Friday, September 30, 2016

Adapting to life in Vermont

In 2012, I moved from just outside of Philadelphia, Pa. to Middlebury, Vt. This was a significant transition for both myself and my entire family. Through, this process I learned that although adapting to a new environment can be very difficult; with the right tools and frame of mind the transition can be peaceful. Here were some of things that helped me through my transition to a new state and new community.

Middlebury, VT - Photo Credit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lukenicolaides/
Faith
My faith is a huge part of who I am. My wife is originally from Vermont, so when we became engaged we decided to get married in Vermont. The first time we visited Vermont after our engagement we went to see the Father of the local parish. We just knocked on the door of the rectory and Father answered the door with such kindness that I knew at that moment that this community was the place for our family. I put my trust in the Lord, prayed, performed acts of love, and everything worked out just fine.

"The Lord is my light, and my salvation."  (Psalms Chapter 27)

Love – Is there really anything else to say?
"Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (First Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians Chapter 13 4:7)

Do you know what really put the icing on the cake? Well, it was really something very simple that is sometimes forgotten: 

"The simple act of a stranger taking the time to greet someone new and introduce themselves made me feel welcome in my new community." 

Mr. Hill and his 7th grade class enjoying "Jeans and Jerseys" Day.
It was very evident everywhere I went that the community I found myself a part of cared about one another. While I am new here at St. Francis Xavier, and I am already feeling comfortable because of this same simple act of kindness. From on outsider’s perspective it was not just an act, but a value that permeates through the community, a positive part of the culture here and a key facet of the virtues of this community.













Middle School Teacher



Saint Francis Xavier School
Developing the whole person:
Academics, Faith, Community and Character

Interested in learning more about Saint Francis Xavier School? Just fill out our inquiry form and someone will be in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment